Thursday, January 6, 2011

GRACE!

I finally took down the Christmas decorations at our house tonight. I was giving myself until the National Championship ballgame to get them down. The game is not until Monday, so I guess that means I'm ahead of schedule! While replacing my Christmas coffee mugs with my regular mugs I chuckled when I saw the one from Paula. It says "somewhere between raising hell and amazing grace". I think that pretty much sums up my 45 years on this earth. In my earlier days I was a pretty effective hell-raiser but thanks to God's amazing grace, that no longer describes me. Of course, I'm sure there are still moments that the old devil thinks he might be gaining some ground...when he starts reminding me of past sins and the guilt and shame comes creeping back in. But God's amazing grace saves "even a wretch like me".

I have heard many times that God's grace is fresh every morning like dew on the grass. Our pastor said it again last night. Until last night, each time I heard it I thought it sounded nice, peaceful, serene. But last night it made me think about my dog, Gracie.

Say what??? OK, let me explain.

Gracie is a very cold-natured dog. She loves anything warm. She would sleep under an electric blanket year round if we would let her. On summer mornings when the grass is warm but still wet from the dew, Gracie loves to be outside. She will walk around the yard leaving little paw prints in the dew, sniffing until she finds the perfect spot to enjoy the warmth. Then she falls over on her side (imagine cow-tipping). She will lay perfectly still for about a minute and then she will start rolling from side to side. When she is tired from that she will roll over on her tummy and lay as flat as she possibly can for awhile. Now if you are patient enough with her she will get up, find another warm, dewy spot and start all over again. That girl knows how to enjoy her dew!

I was struck last night with the thought that thats how I should respond to God's grace. I shouldn't make an acknowledging nod as I pass by or say a quick "thanks for the grace" heavenward. I should enjoy this daily gift! Wallow around in it, soak up it's warmth, feel God's unconditional, everlasting love for me. His grace is fresh every morning because I need it every morning.

I come to the garden alone, while the dew is still on the roses; and the voice I hear falling on my ear, the Son of God discloses.

He speaks and the sound of his voice is so sweet the birds hush their singing. And the melody he gave to me within my heart is ringing.

And He walks with me and He talks with me and He tells me I am His own; and the joy we share as we tarry there, no other has ever known.

In the Garden
by C. Austin Miles

No comments:

Post a Comment