Friday, September 3, 2010

"Be Holy"

What a glorious day! My first thought when I woke up this morning was, Yay! I'm off today! Most days that I'm off work is for a chemo treatment or the days following a treatment. It is rare for me to take a day just for the heck of it. So on this momentous occasion of an off day, I was up at 6:00 and getting a start to my day. The weather is a little cooler this morning and my back deck was calling my name. I made my favorite breakfast (waffles, peanut butter and blueberries) and my wonderful hubster made my coffee.

I love my back deck - overlooking the pool that Steve keeps so sparkling clean and the beautiful flowers that Steve nurtures and the birds that Steve feeds twice a day. Yep, Steve does all the work and I just sit and enjoy. I am spoiled rotten.

I have had alot of conversations with God on this deck. I have talked with Him through my tears and fears. I have been angry, not a God but my situation. I have felt helpless and hopeless. He has talked to me through His Word and the calming Holy Spirit. No matter how much I am sinking in despair when I meet with him, he always sets me back on solid ground.

This morning on my deck is pure joy. The extreme heat has kept me inside most of the summer, so the opportunity to pray out here is all the sweeter.

I am a list maker - I always have a running list of things I need or want to do. It's a good tool to use to compensate for "chemo brain". I started my list for the day - pay bills, do laundry,.....
I set my list aside and started my quiet time with God. As I flipped through the pages of my Bible the words "be holy" jumped out at me. God had an addition to my "to do" list!

Therefore, prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled, set your hope full on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed. As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do, for it is written: "Be holy, because I am holy." 1 Peter 1: 13-16

In this scripture God said to me, "today, be holy. Don't be all herky-jerky and react to things of this world. Don't let the situation of the day dictate how you live. Stay focused on Me, be intent on My will."

It is so easy to get caught up on the roller coaster of my emotions. My physical ailments are hard to ignore and the thought of the future is scary - but God knows if I "prepare my mind", "be self-controlled" and "set my hope" on Him, I will have the life that He has intended for me to have.

Thank you Lord of my life for meeting me where I am. For caring for my every need - whether large or small.. For your word that speaks to me so cleary. Thank you for this day and for this moment. "It makes me want to shout, hallelujah, thank you Jesus!"

No comments:

Post a Comment