Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Food!

I know I've mentioned in a previous post that I have been reading up on how to eat healthier, not to lose weight - goodness knows I haven't done that! But I read a very interesting book, "Anti-Cancer: The New Way of Life" that goes into great detail about the food we put in our body, the atmosphere we live in and the consequences to our bodies. I have cut out most white sugar, bread and pastas. Many people believe that sugar is a big culprit when battling cancer. I've also added more veggies and fruits into my daily routine along with some strange spices and green tea.

I have enjoyed cooking using these new parameters. To me it is much more fun to shop in the produce section where you see the vibrant colors - you can compare, smell, touch what you are about to buy. Picking up a box of mac and cheese just doesn't have the same effect on me.

Tonight I made chicken fajitas. Ingredients: chicken (no hormones, cage free), red and yellow peppers, onions, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, mushrooms. I thought it was so pretty that I had to take a picture of it.

When I was young I thought it was so crazy for the adults to take a picture of the dinner table before a holiday meal. Why in the world would someone want a picture of food? I finally understand. When my grandmother cooked a holiday meal it was a masterpiece. It was art. She didn't open a can of this and a box of that. The food on the table represented hours, even days, of preparation. It was a moment to cherish - to see all that labor end up one table to be enjoyed by the people she loved. What a great gift.

For the past three years I (with help) have prepared our Thanksgiving dinner. I look forward to it. Of course, the bounty I lay before my family will never compare to the meals my grandmother prepared, but the sentiment is the same. I love these people and want to offer to them a part of myself.

We will be missing one from our table this year. Andrew is in Japan. I saw a post on facebook that they will have their Thanksgiving meal on Wednesday night. I try not to think about it too much - this mamma hen doesn't like her chicks so far from home.

Well, I'm turning in for the night. I will start my Thanksgiving cooking in the morning. I hope you have a happy Thanksgiving with the people you love.

No comments:

Post a Comment