Thursday, December 2, 2010

Chemo Day

It's chemo day again. This morning I tried to remember how many chemo treatments I have had in the past two years. I gave up counting and just started thinking about something else.

The day started early. Steve goes to a men's bible study at 6 AM on Thursdays. So when he leaves about 5:30 I turn on the news and wait for it to get little lighter outside before I get up. When I get up, Gracie gets up so I try to wait as long as I can.

I found a recipe for a hot tea that incorporates some of the cancer fighting spices that I am trying to include in my daily diet. It's made with turmeric, ginger root, pepper, fresh OJ and agave necter. Hey, I'm a brave soul - If I could drink Boones Farm or Mad Dog 20/20 as a youngster then I could give this a whirl! It smelled AWFUL when it was boiling on the stove, but it actually didn't taste too bad. I felt like a wicked witch stirring my magic potion!

So....I drank my potion on the way to the cancer center. The wait was longer than usual this morning. When there is a holiday it takes awhile to get everybody back on schedule. They are still making up appointments that were missed at Thanksgiving.

The nurse took my vitals, my blood and weighed me. Everything checked out fine - I even lost a few pounds! Then it was back to the waiting room to wait for a space. I played my usual game of checking out everybody in the waiting room. A couple working a jigsaw puzzle, two couples talking about health care reform, three guys watching the View (I guess they couldn't find the remote), three couples completing new patient questionaires, lots of folks reading and one guy talking too loud on his cell phone.

My turn came and I found my open chair and settled in with my laptop. I checked my work email and did what I could without spreading out a bunch of paperwork. My drug regimen changed just a wee bit. I'm still getting the larger dose of Avastin. They increased my Leucovorin back to the original dosage, my 5FU remained the same.

I got all my drugs and a few hugs then I was on my way home. Let me just stop right here and say that the valets at the cancer center amaze me! I had to wait a little bit for my car and was able to watch them perform their magic of parking way more cars than they have space for in the lots. This may be one of those everyday miracles. I like to think so anyway.

I walked in the front door and Allie was dipping soup into a bowl for me. Ah, yes...a little slice of heaven. Gracie and I spent the rest of the afternoon in the recliner sipping gingerroot green tea...well, I was sipping, Gracie was sleeping. If history repeats itself I will start feeling a little blah at bedtime....if the history of the last treatment repeats itself I should feel better by tomorrow afternoon - that would be awesome! It's a busy time of year and there are lots of things I want to do - so I'm counting on feeling good this weekend!

The doctor thinks the drugs are holding back the progression of my cancer. But I know that God is ordaining these days.

Blessings to you this Christmas season! Glory to God! He is worthy of our praise!

No comments:

Post a Comment