Friday, July 13, 2012

Feeling a Little Crafty

I really like arts and crafts.  I can spend hours looking at the DIY section of Pinterest.  I have walked miles in Hobby Lobby looking at ribbon, flowers, fabric, woodworking kits (and I don't even wood work).  As I see it, there are two types of crafty people.  Those that are blessed with the imagination and skills to make their crafty dreams a reality and then there are the people like me.  I refer to people like me as the "cursed crafters".  In my mind I can see myself weaving rugs, stenciling artwork on all my lamps, painting murals, sewing curtains...I think you get the picture.  But in reality, I have never done any of those things.  However, when I do run across something I'm brave enough to try, I am all in.

I did teach my self counted cross-stitching when I was in my early twenties.  I even worked in a craft store a couple of Saturdays a month.  I bought so much thread and fabric that I always ended up owing the owner more than I earned working all day.  I still cross stitch and really enjoy it.  I just wish it didn't take so long to see the finished project.  I'm a little impatient!

So I have now ventured out of comfort zone.  In the past year or so I have made a couple of wreaths, not the fancy ones -  mine are very simple.  I also took a large step and started painting on canvas, not pictures - words.  I started painting because...hmm, this is going to be hard to explain.  I would wake up in the morning with a word rambling around in my head.  It was not enough for me to say the word, I needed to DO something with the word.  I didn't think Steve would appreciate me painting graffiti on the house, even though it would have been nice words, so I decided to use canvas instead.

Right about now you are probably thinking I'm a nut case...no need to call the funny farm, I don't drive anymore so the streets are safe!


I've painted the words GLORY, JOY, FAITH...one of the most difficult decisions is deciding what color should go with the words.  GLORY, yellow/orange like a sunset; JOY, a deep red; FAITH, blue.
I've done some other things too. Some didn't turn out so well, so they have earned a place on my craft desk.  I like to display them: 1) when I become a famous painter I will remember my humble beginnings and 2) I will have something to throw if someone breaks in our house.

I can't believe it!  I've sat here and typed all of this (and you have sat there and read this) and it has almost nothing to do with what I really wanted to blog.  I hope you enjoyed your trip through my rambling brain.  Maybe my next blog will contain some meaningful words of wisdom.

Happy weekend!

AmyLou

1 comment:

  1. Oh, how I do enjoy the "ramblings" of your brain. I'd love to see your "Words". I am a cursed crafted also.
    I love you, friend. God bless you today!!
    -Sara

    ReplyDelete