Thursday, May 6, 2010

My Slice of Heaven

I think we all have our own holy place. Our favorite place to go when we want to think, pray, remember, plan. My place is the back deck. I love to visit with friends here or sit alone. We eat meals out here, had lots of summer birthday parties. I spent countless hours on this deck last year while battling cancer. This is my little spot on earth. It overlooks our backyard with two huge trees that provide shelter for the birds and a playground for the squirrels, there is a tiered water fountain that provides the soothing sound of water, birdfeeds that attract fire engine red birds, shocking bluejays, graceful mourning doves. It's my special spot on this earth.

Steve and I had planned to go to the Botanical Gardens after my doctor's appointment last week. I was looking forward to seeing the beautiful pictures Steve would make of the buds and blooms. The gardens are spectacular there and I like to visit at least a couple of times a year. But the doctor confirmed our fears that the cancer had spread to my lungs and the prognosis was to stretch my life for as long as they could. After that, all I wanted to do was get to my backyard. My safe place. We drove straight home and I went straight to my deck to let the news sink in. God prepares a place for us in heaven. I bet mine has a deck.

No comments:

Post a Comment